Business & Finance

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What is your expereince like going to a thrift store (Op shop)? ps... I always give best answers?

What is your purpose?


Are you young or old?


How long do you take there?


Do you have anything else to say about buying second hand products?


Are you embarrassed by it?





I'm just researching the setting for my report. I recently observed a local thrift store (Op shop) and would like to know further what type of people go there and why?


Do you notice more kinds of people go there than others?





Thank you soo much for taking the time to answer this question!



What is your purpose?





I originally went to thrift stores in search of cheap clothing for my niece either before she was born or right after her birth. I also bought a lot of books that are suitable for parents to read to a baby or a toddler and a lot of books that she'll enjoy when she learns how to read herself. I sometimes look at the toys and buy her toys that look like they're either in a new condition or will be suitable for her to play with after being properly cleaned.





I've bought my niece a lot of name brand clothing such as Baby Gap, Baby Guess, Carter's, DKNY, Old Navy, OshKosh, etc.





I've bought her a lot of Marc Brown's Arthur books, a few Eric Carle books (The Very Hungry Caterpillar), etc.





When I look for myself I look for interesting old music records (I've found a few Beatles, The Who, The Beach Boys, etc.), VHS movies, cassettes, and books.





How long do you take there?





Usually I spend around a half hour to an hour at my local thrift store, because they have so much interesting stuff to look at.





Do you have anything else to say about buying second hand products?





I don't see anything wrong with someone buying second hand stuff. I do think that if you're buying stuff for a child that you should take the time and inspect the item thoroughly.





Are you embarrassed by it?





Am I embarrassed? Not really. For one you can find a lot of interesting clothing that is either new with tags, barely worn, or looks like it has been worn a lot but still looks wearable.





I would say a mixture of people visit thrift stores.





1. You have the people who unfortunately can only shop at thrift stores or second hand shops especially if they have a larger family or can't afford to shop at certain places. Not everyone can afford to buy their children brand new Hollister shirts or the latest Abercrombie & Fitch jeans and stores such as these are a godsend, because they can buy their children name brand clothing at cheaper prices.





2. I would imagine lot of people also visit the thrift stores and scour the store shelves and racks for items that could sell well at yard sales or EBAY.





3. I would also imagine a lot of people who could easily afford to shop at the mall, designer stores, and make a large salary also shop at thrift stores to save a few bucks.





4. You also have the people who like to browse and search for anything that sparks their attention.




I go to the shops looking for old trivial pursuit versions. I use them in an online chat room. The stores are great bargains.... a game that sells new for $25 can be had for $3 at the shops. Trouble is, the inventory is unpredictable, so I have to check them often.





Most of the shops support charitable causes, so I have no problem patronizing them.




I shop to save money and get more for the price.


With a 9yr old son I buy his cloths there because boys are so though on cloths that paying $30 for a shirt that he is going to climb a tree and get it caught and rip it NO thanks also boys.


I would rather spend $30.00 in a thrift store and walk out with 4 or 5 shirts and 3 or 4 pants and or shorts rather than one $30 item just makes sense to me.and I save so much money I can go back more than once a pay check when new shipments come in at other stores you go back 2 days later its still all the same to pick from.you can find things like furniture and other things so cheap that you have the money to buy paint and fabric etc to make it your own. instead of buying something that every body else has one of.also I have bought antiques for $2-$3 and sold it in a yard sale for $$8.I think a lot of moms and grandmas shop there just because they are smart about their money and time.and no not embarrassed although the only thing I will not buy is underwear, that would be embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Business Loans

Local Businesses

Business & Finance