Business & Finance

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Question about new york(or something)?

yes, a lot of details


i was watching ncis a while ago, near the start, while examing the crime scene, two of the people were talking(forgot names), one said that in new york(or set town) theres some streets named after each letter of the alphabet(a street, b street, ect.) except for a j street and asked if the other knew the reason...


my question is, are there these streets and if so, why isnt there a j street?



I didn't see the show, but what you are describing sounds more like Washington, DC than New York. Could they have been talking about Washington on the show?





New York has Avenues A, B, and C (no higher than that, I believe); they are in lower Manhattan, and as I said, they are Avenues, not Streets.





In Washington, however, the grid is just like you heard--A Street, B Street, and so on through the alphabet--but no J street. The reason is supposed to be that in the end of the 1700's and beginning of the 1800's, when Washington was first laid out, the alphabet was, well, a little looser than it is today. There was not a clear distinction between J and I. Writers would write I's with a curved bottom, like a J, and they would write J's that were straight, like I. As a result, the city planners decided it would be clearer just to skip J altogether, and go right from I Street to K Street.





By the way, friends who have lived in Washington for a long time tell me that people used to play tricks on out-of-towners, telling them to go to, say, the intersection of 14th and J Streets.




I have not ever lived in New York, but I do believe there are streets like that. New York has so many roadways so they name their streets a lot of different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small Business Loans

Local Businesses

Business & Finance